Kendall Duffie made Black Sand, a vegan chocolate pudding. On Saturday, June 15 Kendall will launch his Deep Sea Vegan brand with a special pop-up restaurant event to be held at East Nashville's BE-Hive Vegan Store & Deli, located at 2414 Gallatin Avenue. The BE-Hive will close its regular service at 4pm that afternoon, and two hours later, the venue will be transformed into Deep Sea Vegan. From 6pm to 9pm, diners will be treated to some of the tastiest food on the planet. For more information follow Deep Sea Vegan on Facebook and Instagram.
Deep Sea Vegan Recipe for Black Sand Pudding
(Makes 5 Cups)
Vegan Whipped Cream:
• Two 15 oz. cans of full fat cream of coconut (chilled overnight)
• Scoop out all of the coconut cream from the can (save the liquid coconut milk for pudding)
• 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
• Blend with electric hand mixer (30-45 seconds or until smooth).
• Let sit in fridge 15 minutes to chill and firm.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding:
• 2 large ripe (not firm) avocados, or 4 small avocados
• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
• 1 Tbsp vanilla flavoring
• 1 Tbsp cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp maple syrup
• 1/4 cup coconut milk liquid from the cans of full fat cream of coconut*
• Additional coconut milk, if needed*
• 1 cup powdered sugar**
• Additional powdered sugar, if needed**
• Cut avocados in half, remove seeds and scoop out the flesh
• Put avocado flesh into food processor and blend until smooth. (length of blending time will depend on how firm the avocados are).
• Add cocoa powder, vanilla flavoring, cinnamon, and maple syrup to food processor.
• Add 1/4 cup coconut milk liquid from the cans of full fat cream of coconut to food processor.*
• Add 1 cup powdered sugar to food processor.
• Slowly blend these ingredient together until smooth.
• Slowly add more coconut milk if needed to adjust to your desired consistency.
• Slowly add more powdered sugar if needed to adjust to your desired level of sweetness).
Black Sand Topping:
• 24 regular Oreo cookies (cookie part only, not the filling)
• Finely process the cookies in a food processor (or seal cookies in a ziplock bag and smash with a rolling pin or a rubber hammer) until the cookies reach the consistency of sand.
To assemble the Black Sand Pudding:
• Serve in a 9 oz. clear glass or plastic dessert cup for best presentation.
• Spoon 3 Tbsp Black Sand Topping into the bottom of cup.
• Add 4 Tbsp Vegan Chocolate Pudding over the Black Sand Topping.
• Add a layer of Vegan Whipped Cream (about 2 Tbsp).
• Top with another layer of Black Sand Topping (about 2 Tbsp).
* Depending on how much liquid is in each can of full fat cream of coconut, you may need to add more coconut milk to make 1/4 cup.
* You may choose to add more coconut milk at the end to adjust to your desired consistency.
** You may choose to add more powdered sugar at the end to adjust to your desired level of sweetness.