Celebrity restaurateur Billy Dec previewed Sunda's Kamayan Feast, a traditional Filipino meal, eaten family style with your hands! (see recipe below for Lumpia, a Filipino egg roll) Don't miss the Kamayan Feast at Sunda on Wednesday May 30 at 5pm. Get all the details and tickets online at https ://sundanewasian.com/events/kamayan-feast-5/ . Sunda New Asian is located at 592 12th Avenue South.
Sunda’s lumpia is a customer favorite and is known as the Filipino version of the
traditional Chinese eggroll. We modernize the traditional recipe with the addition of
chopped bacon to add smoky notes. Made by folding pork, shrimp and various
vegetables into paper-thin lumpia wrappers then frying to crisp golden perfection, lumpia
is the perfect crowd-pleasing dish to serve at your next get together!
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 lb. ground pork
• ½ lb. shrimp, chopped
• ¼ lb. bacon, cooked and chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• ½ cup onion, chopped
• ½ cup carrots, minced
• ½ cup scallion, chopped
• 1 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp soy sauce
• 1 egg, beaten
• 30 lumpia wrappers (found in Asian aisle of grocery store)
• 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Combine first 12 ingredients (through soy sauce) in a bowl and mix with your
hands. After it’s all mixed, cover and let sit in the refrigerator for an hour (or up
to 24 hours) before wrapping.
2. Open the lumpia wrappers and cut in half to form rectangular strips or in
quarters to make bite-sized rolls.
3. Carefully peel the wrappers apart and place about a tablespoon of filling on each
one. Roll them according to your preference and then dip your finger in the
beaten egg and seal the edges. Set the rolls aside until ready to cook.
4. In a small sauce pan, heat about 2 inches of oil over medium-high heat.
5. Once the oil is hot, use tongs to place a few rolls in the oil at a time. Let cook for
about a minute on one side and then turn to cook the other. When they are
lightly golden brown, remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-covered
6. Serve with dipping sauces of your choice.