Jim Hagy from Chef's Market shared the recipe for authentic New England Clam Chowder. (see recipe below) Chef's Market Catering & Restaurant is located at 900 Conference Dr., Goodlettsville, TN 37072. For more information or menu details visit www.chefsmarket.com or call (615) 851-2433. Look for Chef’s Market on Facebook and @chefsmarket on Twitter and Instagram.
Chef’s Market’s New England Clam Chowder
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 5 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1/2 Tbsp. of Thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsps. clam base
- 2 cups red potatoes, diced, blanched
- 3 10-oz cans clams in juice
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups of Milk
1. Over medium low heat, add a small drizzle of olive oil to the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Add bacon pieces and rendering the fat.
2. Add onions, and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add celery, and cook for an additional 7 minutes.
4. Add flour to the mixture to make roux, cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Add in the wine and reduce.
6. Add seasonings, heavy cream, and clam base. Bring to a simmer.
7. Add potatoes and cook until al dente.
8. Add clams and heat thoroughly. You have created a concentrate to this point. You could remove 1/2 of the product and freeze for future use after this step if desired.
9. Just before serving, add milk. Add salt, pepper and Tabasco.