Cookbook author and YouTube chef Alane Boyd showed how to make a Spinach and Mushroom Burgerfit Burger, a healthier version of a hamburger that incorporates vegetables. Alane also showed how to turn the Spinach and Mushroom Burger into a Flatbread. Find more healthy burger recipes in Alane's cookbook BurgerFit at www.burgerfitcookbook.com. For a copy of Alane’s new The Small Steps Planner click here: https://www.amazon.com/BurgerFit-Small-Planner-Alane-Boyd/dp/1733711546/. Check out Alane's Youtube channel, Cooking with My Friends at https://alaneboyd.com/cooking-with-my-friends/burgerfit/.
SPINACH & MUSHROOM BURGERFIT BURGER
Yields: 5 Burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 (8 ounce) package of mushrooms
11/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
3 cups raw spinach
2 cloves garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb ground meat
1. Heat a skillet on medium heat with 1 tablespoon cooking fat. Rough chop the mushrooms and saute with a ½ teaspoon of salt for about 10 minutes, until soft. For the last couple of minutes, add the spinach to the skillet to cook with the mushrooms.
2. Once the spinach and mushrooms are cooked, put the spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and onion powder in the food processor (or finely chop). Let the mixture cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, mix the ground meat and remaining teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate the vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal.
*If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
4. Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 5 minutes each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
5. Optional: Serve with your favorite cheese and condiments.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
1/2 onion, sliced
1 tbsp cooking fat
1-2 tbsp pesto or a pepper jam
1 BurgerFit burger, broken into bite-size pieces
Feta or goat cheese to taste
1. Slice onion and add to a skillet on medium heat with 1 tbsp cooking fat.
2. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until brown and fragrant. Remove from heat.
3. Spread pesto or pepper jam onto flatbread.
4. Add caramelized onions, BurgerFit burger, and cheese to flatbread.
5. Bake the flatbread at 425 degrees for 7 minutes, or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
7. Cut and enjoy!