Country artist Jenny Tolman made Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 4 Medium Sized Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease (or any oil you like to cook with)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1/4 C Hot Sauce
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Dash Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut Sweet Potatoes in half, lengthwise, so that you have 8 long halves of sweet potatoes. Place them face down on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 min, or until they give when you press down on the skin.
- While the Sweet Potatoes cook, finely dice your Onion.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of Bacon Grease to a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add in your Onion and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the chopped Garlic Cloves, and sauté for another couple of minutes, being sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add 1 lb of Ground Turkey to the pan and break it up as it cooks.
- Also as it is cooking, add in 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, and a dash of Cayenne to the turkey mixture.
- Once the spices are all added, add in you 1/4 C of your favorite Hot Sauce, and mix well.
- Once done cooking, remove the turkey mixture from the heat, and set aside.
- By this point, your sweet potatoes should be just about ready to come out. Remove them from the oven and carefully scoop out most of the insides, but be sure to leave a border of potato on the skin, so that the skins don’t sag and get holes in them. Add the scooped out sweet potato to the turkey mixture and combine it all together, very well.
- Fill your empty sweet potato skins with the potato/turkey mixture, and add them back to the oven to bake all together for 5 more minutes. The tops should get nice and crispy.