Executive Chef Chris Blalock from TomKats Hospitality made Adventure Science Center's Espresso Rubbed Pork Belly with Charred Peach Chutney, one of the featured dishes at the MAD Bash 2020 event. MAD Bash is Saturday, February 29 from 7pm-11pm at the Adventure Science Center. At MAD Bash the center will transform for an adult-only event featuring incredible bites, drinks, and exhibits. This year’s theme is Decades of Brilliance, transporting guests back in time to the food and beverages of the past decades, from the 50s to today. Tickets are $100 for general admission and $250 for VIP. MAD Bash is the signature fundraising event of Adventure Science Center. All proceeds support the museum’s innovative educational programs. For more information, go to www.adventuresci.org/MadBash.
ADVENTURE SCIENCE CENTER'S ESPRESSO RUBBED PORK BELLY WITH CHARRED PEACH CHUTNEY
FOR THE PORK BELLY:
1 1/2 lbs pork belly, scored
Espresso rub (recipe below)
Canola oil, as needed
FOR THE ESPRESSO RUB:
*Makes approximately 1 ½ cups
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbls Kona coffee (may substitute regular coffee)
2 Tbsp espresso powder
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp paprika
Mix well and set aside
FOR THE BRAISING LIQUID:
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 cloves garlic
Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup orange juice
2-inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise pod, whole
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup sambal oelek chili paste
1 clove, whole
1 quart chicken stock
In a large saucepan, saute onion, carrot and celery in canola oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook until evaporated. Add orange juice, sambal oelek, tomato paste and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. In a separate dry skillet, add cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaf and clove. Toast on medium heat until fragrant then add to the pot with liquid ingredients. Wipe skillet our and add just enough canola oil to coat the pan. Increase heat to medium high in preparation for the peach chutney.
FOR THE CHARRED PEACH CHUTNEY:
1 lb frozen peaches (or fresh, when in season)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbls sambal oelek chili paste
1 cup rice wine vinegar
On medium high heat, lightly char peach quarters on a griddle or grill for approximately 1 min per side. Remove from the pan and cool.
Small dice peaches and place them, with remaining ingredients in a pot over very low heat. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring periodically, for approximately 4 hours until the mixture is deep orange in color. Remove from the pot and cool.
EXTRA INGREDIENTS FOR TOPPING:
Fresh chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
Chocolate Pop Rocks
· Season the pork belly, liberally with 1 cup of the espresso rub, reserving ½ cup. Place belly, seasoned side down in oiled skillet and sear evening, approximately 4 minutes.
· Transfer belly to roasting pan, fat side up.
· Heat oven to 325 F. Pour hot braising liquid over pork belly. Cover and place in the oven. Cook 3 ½ hours or until completely tender when pierced with a fork. The pork belly can be prepared up to this point and refrigerated in the braising liquid until ready to proceed to the next step.
· Remove the belly from the braising liquid and cut it into 1-inch squares.
· In a skillet on medium high heat, sprinkle remaining espresso rub on the fat side of the pork belly and sear until crispy.
· Transfer to plate and top with charred peach chutney, chocolate pop rocks and chive baton.