Health Coach and Herbalist Shirley Sims-Saldana made General Tso’s Crispy Glazed Tofu. You’re invite to sample Shirley’s recipe for General Tso’s Crispy Glazed Tofu at the Madison Community Health Fair on Sunday, April 14 from 2pm-5pm at 607 Larkin Springs Road, Madison, TN 37115. The free event will feature vegetarian cooking classes, stroke and heart attack screenings, glucose and BMI test, free chair massages, haircuts and a bicycle giveaway and bike swap meet. For more information click here:
. To contact Shirley for more healthy food alternatives or information on the use of herbs for disease intervention or prevention, email:
Shirley’s General Tso's Crispy Glazed Tofu
· Preheat oven to 300 degrees
· Use 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained, pat dry, and cut into 1-inch squares
· 1/2 cup of Lite soy sauce, Braggs Aminors, or marinade of choice
· 5 tsp garlic powder
· 5 tsp onion powder
· 5 tbsp vegetarian McKay’s chicken seasoning (or a chicken seasoning of your choice)
· Mix all ingredients and marinade tofu for approximately 10 minutes, while preparing the coating.
Coating for Tofu:
· 1 cup of potato starch (or cornstarch)
· 1 Tbsp sea salt
· 1 Tbsp of Ginger
· 1 Tbsp of Paprika
· Mix the above dry ingredients in a medium bowl and cover each square of tofu generously
· Set the squares aside and heat your oil on high
· 1 cup peanut, grapeseed, rice bran, or canola oil
· 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil to add to the oil (optional)
· Roll each piece in coating again before placing in the hot oil
· Place the squares of tofu in hot oil and fry until crispy on each side, about ten minutes for each batch.
· 1 cup of Kroger’s General Tso’s Sauce, or P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Sauce
· Pour in a small bowl and dip each piece of tofu in the sauce as you remove it from the hot oil.
· Place the first batch in the oven 10 minutes until the second batch is done.
· Turn off heat and serve the crispy glazed tofu over rice, stir fry vegetables, or as a snack with honey mustard, ranch or blue cheese dressing.
***This “Low to No Budget Health” Recipe feeds 2-3 adults with rice or optional side dish
You’ve never had tofu quite like this!