Jim Hagy from Chef's Market made Asian Beef Short Rib Tacos. (see recipe below) Chef's Market Catering & Restaurant is located at 900 Conference Dr., Goodlettsville, TN 37072. For more information or menu details visit https://www.chefsmarket.com or call (615) 851-2433. Look for Chef’s Market on Facebook and @chefs_market on Twitter and Instagram.
Asian Beef Short Rib Tacos (Yield: 16 tacos)
Short Rib Ingredients
- 3 pounds boneless Beef Short Ribs, cut into 1.5 to 2 inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (green and light green parts)
- 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, cut into half and pounded
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 8 ounces shredded red cabbage
- 1 whole onion thinly sliced
- 1 whole carrot peeled and grated
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced, green only
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro roughly chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons seasoned gourmet rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 16 whole corn or flour tortillas taco size
- Add the Vegetable oil to a skillet and warm to medium heat.
- Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Lightly dredge the beef rib in flour mixture. Sear the ribs the ribs in batches, just enough to for a light brown crust, moving to the slow cooker. Ribs do not have to be cooked just seared.
- In the same skillet you cooked the beef, add garlic and ginger. Cook lightly until aromatic. Throw in the lemongrass and continue to cook until the garlic is brown. Add chicken broth and red pepper flakes. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
- In another bowl mix together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, five spice and Sriracha. Pour into the slow cooker. Throw in the green onions.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours on high heat or 6 to 8 on low heat.
- When they are cool enough to handle, pull the meat into manageable pieces. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas. Spoon a generous amount of meat and slaw on each tortilla and serve immediately.
- Optional: present with additional coleslaw, jalapenos, Sriracha and cilantro.
- If you do not have or want to use a slow cooker, in a medium roasting pan, cover with plastic wrap then aluminum foil to create an air tight seal and cook for 5 hours in a 350-degree oven.
- If you are using an instant pot, follow the same recipe but stir the sauce and ribs before sealing the lid. Shut and lock the lid. Turn the valve at the top to “sealing” and program the Instant pot to cook under high pressure for 45 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. If the pressure hasn’t dropped in 25 minutes, release it manually by turning the top value to the venting position. Pop open the lid and check that the ribs are tender. If not, cook them for another 10 minutes under high pressure.