Bob Krumm made Wienerschnitzel. (see recipe below) Celebrate Oktoberfest at Bavarian Bierhaus through October 26. The restaurant is located at 121 Opry Mills Drive, Suite 315 Nashville, TN 37214. For more information, visit www.bierhausnashville.com call (615) 238-0687 and follow www.Facebook.com/bierhausnashville and Instagram @Bierhausnash.
18oz veal, cut into 6oz cutlets (can also use chicken or pork)
salt & pepper to taste
½ cup all-purpose flour combined with 1 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
Oil for frying, use a neutral-tasting oil with high smoke point
1. Place meat between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound until just ¼ inch thick with flat side of meat tenderizer. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Place flour mixture, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Dip the chops in the four, the egg and then the breadcrumbs, coating both sides and all edges at each stage. Be careful not to press the breadcrumbs into the meat. Gently shake off the extra crumbs. Don’t let the schnitzel sit in the coating or they will not be crispy once fried. Fry immediately.
3. Make sure the oil is about 330 degrees as you don’t want the schnitzel to sit around in the coating before frying. Use enough oil so that the schnitzel “swim” in it.
4. Fry the schnitzel for about 2-3 minutes on both sides until a deep golden brown. Transfer to the plate lined with paper towel
5. Serve immediately with slices of fresh lemon and parsley or with your choice of sauce.