Chef Dale Levitski / Sinema Nashville
2 lbs white Gulf shrimp (16/20 or preferred size)
one gallon orange juice
four cloves garlic, smashed
2 tbs whole black peppercorns
1/3 cup Sriracha chili sauce
1 tbs ground cayenne pepper
2 tbs kosher salt
Optional garnishes: cocktail sauce, orange segments, finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Mix all ingredients (except shrimp) in a large bowl; divide liquid mixture in half.
2. In a medium sauce pot, bring half of the liquid to a simmer in on the stovetop. Mixture should fill half the pot. Add the shrimp, using a mesh basket if desired, cooking roughly two minutes - until shrimp begin to turn pink.
3. Add 3 cups ice and 1 tbs salt to the remaining mixture. Strain shrimp, and immediately immerse in icy liquid.
4. When cool, strain shrimp again. Toss shrimp with desired amount of cayenne pepper or smoked paprika, Sriracha, and a tablespoon of finely chopped parsley.
5. Serve chilled with garnishes: cocktail sauce, orange segments and additional chopped parsley. Serves four to six.
Variation: Skip orange juice ice bath and toss hot, cooked shrimp with extra spices, parsley and two tablespoons butter to serve warm.