Chef Giamanco prepared Pan Roasted Apple Pumpkin Soup ( see recipe below ) . Chef Giamanco oversees the cuisine at Brookdale Franklin, a senior living community in Franklin that serves over 100,000 meals to its residents every year. The public also has the opportunity to enjoy its cuisine at periodic special events that are open to the community as a whole. To learn more visit www.brookdale.com or call (615) 219-5103.
Pan Roasted Apple Pumpkin Soup With Herb Crostini
1 oz. butter, unsalted
1 apple, Granny Smith, peeled, diced
1 oz. onion, yellow, diced
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup chicken stock
8 oz. pumpkin puree
2 tbsp. sugar, brown
4 oz. half & half
Pinch, cinnamon, ground
Pinch, nutmeg, ground
Pinch, ginger, dried, ground
2 oz. apple juice, unsweetened
1 oz. crème fraiche
Pinch, herb, fresh, chopped
1 bread, baguette
1 oz. oil, olive
Pinch, chopped herbs
1. Place two-quart sauce pot over medium heat and add butter. Once butter has melted, add diced apples and onions. Sauté until tender, approximately three to five minutes. Add flour and incorporate completely.
2. Add chicken stock to the apple-onion mixture and bring to a simmer. Once mixture has begun to simmer, reduce heat so as not to boil the mixture. Allow to simmer for two to three minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the apples to soften.
3. As apple mixture is simmering, measure out brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. When ready, add pumpkin, sugar and spices to the apple mixture, whisking thoroughly until all ingredients are well incorporated. Continue to simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Once the apples are completely softened, remove from the heat. Utilizing a blender or hand held stick blender, carefully puree the soup until smooth. Once smooth, add half & half, and apple juice and continue to blend. Make sure the soup is completely blended.
5. As a garnish, you can prepare an herb quenelle of crème fraiche. This is achieved by simply whisking crème fraiche with a freshly chopped herb. Then, utilizing two spoons, gently form a “football” type shaped quenelle and gently place in the center of the soup.
6. Prepare herb crostini by slicing baguette bread, brushing with olive oil and sprinkling with fresh chopped herbs. Bake for 6-8 minutes in a 325⁰ oven. Garnish soup with herb crostini. Be sure to serve on napkin lined plate with a soup spoon.