Chef Jonathan Waxman / Adele's
• One 4-pound free-range organic chicken (fresh only)
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon
• ¼ cup capers in salt
• 4 anchovy filets
• 3 cloves garlic
• ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
• ½ cup chopped arugula
• ½ cup chopped fresh basil
• ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
• ¼ cup chopped tarragon
• ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
• ¼ cup chopped fresh sage
• 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
• Wash the bird in hot water (this will remove any nasty juices that collect in the plastic
wrap that all chickens seem to come in). Dry with paper towels.
• Using kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the chicken and remove any fat (this can
be added to a chicken stock). Then, using a heavy chef’s knife, cut out the breastbone.
Season the 2 halves with sea salt and black pepper.
• Place the chicken halves, skin side up, on 2 sizzle platters and dab with the olive oil. Cut
the lemon in half and place a half, cut side down, next to the chicken on each platter.
• Roast the chicken for 35 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. If it is not browning well,
turn it over after 15 minutes, and then right it for the last 5 minutes. When it is done,
remove the chicken to a platter and pour off the excess fat. Cut each breast in half and
cut the thigh from the leg. Serve with salsa verde and garnish with the roasted lemon.
•Soak capers in cold water for an hour then drain.
Soak anchovies in cold water for 15 minutes then pat dry and remove the bones.
Using a mortar and pestle, smash the capers, anchovies, and garlic, until smooth, then
transfer to a large bowl.
Add all herbs and olive oil.
Season with sea salt. It should be chunky, not oily.
White Cauliflower Salad
8 ounces raw cauliflower
1/4 cup minced scallions
1T golden raisins
1T toasted pistachios
1.5 T Champagne vinegar
2.5 T Good olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
Slice cauliflower on a Japanese mandolin (or thinly slice with a knife). Mix in a large bowl
with remaining ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.