Jim Hagy from Chef's Market made a Red White and Blue Tart. (see recipe below) Chef's Market Catering & Restaurant is now open with limited seating following social distancing procedures, and curbside pickup is also available. Chef’s Market is located at 900 Conference Dr., Goodlettsville, TN 37072. For more information or menu details visit www.chefsmarket.com or call (615) 851-2433. Look for Chef’s Market on Facebook and @chefs_market on Twitter and Instagram.
CHEF'S MARKET’S PATRIOT TART
· 1 1/2 cups whole milk
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 1/2 cup sugar, divided
· Pinch of salt
· 3 tablespoons cornstarch
· 5 egg yolks
· 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
· 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 egg yolk
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup granulated sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 6 tablespoons room temperature, unsalted butter, cut into chunks
· 1 1/2 cups of blueberries
· 1 1/2 cups of raspberries
· 1/2 cup of apple or apricot preserves
1. Combine the milk, cream, and half of the sugar in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the liquid comes to a simmer.
2. As the liquid heats, whisk together the remaining sugar, salt, cornstarch, and egg yolks in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
3. Once the milk mixture is hot, slowly whisk about 1 cup of the liquid into the egg mixture to temper the yolks. Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan with the hot milk mixture and reduce the heat to medium, continuing to cook while whisking constantly, until thickened and a few bubbled burst on the surface, about 30 seconds.
4. Remove the pastry cream from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla, then transfer to a bowl and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap placed directly onto the surface of the pastry cream so a skin doesn't form. Refrigerate until chilled and firm, about 3 hours.
1. Cream sugar and butter together on low speed for one minute. Mixing by hand maybe easier for you.
2. Add egg yolk and continue to mix until incorporated.
3. Add flour and salt. Mix until dough comes together and is not crumbly. Do not over mix.
4. Place dough into a 9 inch tart pan. Using the heel of your hand and finger press the dough across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You may refrigerate or freeze the dough until ready for use.
5. Bake the shell at 350 for 15 minute or until the shell is lightly brown.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER
1. When the tart shell is completely cooled, spread the pastry cream over the bottom of the shell. Arrange blueberries in circle on the outer edge. With a toothpick, trace a five point star on the pastry cream. Fill the star with raspberries, then fill in open spaces with blueberries.
2. Melt the jelly or preserves in a small saucepan or the microwave, stirring until smooth. Use a pastry brush to gently dab the melted jelly over the fruit. Slice and serve.