Al Anderson from Big Al's Deli made a Bacon, Okra & Cheese Strata. Big Al's Deli is located at 1828 4th Ave North, Nashville, TN 37208. For more information call (615) 242-8118.
BACON, OKRA, CHEESE STRATA
1 lb. bacon
1 lb. fresh okra, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, diced
1 cup sliced tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
5 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a pan.
2) With the bacon grease cook the okra until browned (about 15 minutes), add the onions, tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes.
3) Add the mixture to the bread cubes. Place half the mixture into a greased 13×9 baking dish, layer half the bacon on top. Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
4) In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk, pour over the strata.
5) Refrigerate covered, at least 1 hour
6) Bake covered for 35 minutes, uncover and bake 10 more minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
7) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
A Big Al's recipe