Chef Scotty Littman of Butcher & Bee made Turnip Cacio e Pepe (Turnips with Cheese and Pepper). (see recipe below) The Edible Nashville Farm Dinner is Saturday, October 27th from 5PM – 10PM, located at Wedge Oak Farm, 3964 Old Murfreesboro Road West,Lebanon, TN 37090. For tickets, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/edible-nashville-farm-dinner-tickets-41745581157 For more information, visit Edible Nashville's website, www.ediblenashville.com.
The recipe uses dried turnips, which are amazingly easy to do. Slice them thin on a mandolin, place them in a dehydrator or low oven for about 4 hours. Oddly enough, they resemble mushrooms once they’re dried. Cook them in boiling water as you would pasta, toss them in butter, the cooking water (or turnip stock) and finely ground Pecorino cheese . Sublime!
Turnip Cacio e Pepe (Turnips with Cheese and Pepper)
4 cups thinly sliced turnips
2 cups turnip stock (see below)
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup ground Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1. Place the sliced turnips in a dehydrator, or place in a 150F oven for 3-4 hours. Make sure all of the moisture is gone and they are cooled down.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the dried turnips for 2 minutes, strain out the turnips and reserve the remaining water.
3. Heat a large saute pan on high and add 2 cups of turnip stock. Once it comes to a boil, add 2/3 of the butter and cook until it is incorporated. Add the turnips and toss, cooking until the stock in a nice thick syrupy sauce.
5. Add the cheese and remaining butter and stir constantly until the turnips are fully coated, and the butter is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Place in a bowl and top with more cheese and black pepper.