Fire Official Certain Whiskey Row Blaze Was Accidental

Posted at 7:47 PM, Jul 09, 2015
and last updated 2015-08-30 17:01:42-04

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- A Louisville fire official said he's certain an accident led to a blaze that heavily damaged three buildings in the city's historic Whiskey Row this week.

Major Henry Ott told The Courier-Journal a spark from an acetylene torch was the fire's apparent cause.

Ott said contract workers were using the torch and a spark dropped, igniting wood and other materials. Ott added combustibles apparently smoldered and caught fire after workers left Monday.

He said a second possibility was a spark from a grinder being used by work crews.

The owner of the buildings has decided to bring in structural engineers next week to determine whether the buildings can still be redeveloped. The plan was for a mix of apartments, offices, restaurants and other commercial uses. 

(Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)