HOUSTON (AP) – Authorities have identified the eight people fatally shot at a Houston home as two adults and six children ranging in age from six to 50 years.
At a Sunday afternoon news conference, prosecutors and police said that a 40-year-old female victim had a prior relationship with 49-year-old David Conley, who has been charged with capital murder in the family's death.
The children, two girls and four boys, were ages 13, 11, 10, 9, 7 and 6. At least one of those was believed to be Conley's child, they said.
All eight victims were shot in the head, according to an arrest affidavit.
The arrest affidavit was read in court Sunday afternoon at a probable cause hearing for Conley. He didn't appear in court. The judge denied him bond.
According to the arrest affidavit, Conley said he had discovered on Saturday morning that the locks had been changed at the house after he'd moved out. He then entered the home through an unlocked window and restrained, shot and killed the eight people.
Police later responded to a welfare check at the house and got no response at the door but saw through a window a male on the floor with a gunshot wound. Police then heard gunshots coming from the front of the house. A standoff ensued between officials and Conley, and he later gave himself up to authorities and was arrested.
(Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)