Apartments Damaged In Hermitage Fire

Tenant Fell Asleep While Cooking
Posted at 9:05 PM, Aug 02, 2017
and last updated 2017-08-03 01:23:24-04

A kitchen fire in one apartment spread, damaging multiple others in a Hermitage apartment complex.

The fire broke at out around 7:30 p.m. at 1018 Hickory Hill Lane.

A tenant told NewsChannel 5 he fell asleep while cooking and a fire started in his kitchen. He said he was devastated and took responsibility.

At least seven people were affected by the fire, including a couple and a family of 5 who were going to be staying in a room provided by the American Red Cross.

The family consists of a woman and her four children, including a premature newborn, a 10-month -old, 7-year-old and 10-year-old. She told NewsChannel 5 she had been collecting a lot of baby supplies for her newborn. All supplies for her baby and children were lost.

Syl Weathersby IV captured this video of the flames. WARNING: the video contains harsh language.