News

Actions

Christiana Dollar Store closes indefinitely due to fire

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WTVF.png
Posted at 11:25 AM, Dec 06, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-06 12:25:41-05

CHRISTIANA, Tenn. (WTVF) — Fire investigators say a Dollar General in Christiana will not reopen for a long time after it suffered $500,000 worth of damage in a fire.

The fire broke out inside the business on Shelbyville Highway just before 10 p.m. Two employees were inside and called 911 when they noticed the fire. They both were able to escape safely. There were no customers inside at the time.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and a large fire. Firefighters went into the building through the front door to extinguish the blaze.

The business did not have a fire sprinkler system, which Fire Investigator Joshua Sanders says it was not required to install, but would have prevented the amount of damage.

"The outcome would have been much different with a fire protection system," Sanders said.

The fire started in the middle of the store on a top shelf of merchandise. Sanders believes it started due to failure of a florescent light fixture.

This Dollar General in Christiana is now closed indefinitely. Sanders said it will need roof repair and also sustained damage to the interior of the building.