CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - A house fire in Clarksville sent a man to the hospital with burns on 95-percent of his body, and the Fire Marshal and police have gotten involved.
It happened at 100 Duncan Street in Clarksville, where firefighters responded after getting the call early Thursday morning.
Fire Marshall Ray Williams said the victim, who was on fire, was able to escape through the back door. His wife helped put out the flames with a garden hose before help arrived.
"His prognosis is not good at the present time," said Williams who confirmed Friday the 36 year-old victim was in extreme critical conditon at Vanderbilt University Medical Center's burn unit with injuries to 95 percent of his body.
Authorities said the couple claimed they were vacationing at Mammoth Cave and came back home to pick up a gaming system.
The fire started while the victim's wife waited in a rental car, their own car was in their driveway.
She did not call police and waited at the scene for investigators to arrive.
Williams said there was strong evidence the fire might've been set intentionally.
"Upon some of my initial investigation there was a very, very high concentration of a gas odor, gasoline odor," said Williams who also received assistance from the state's bomb and arson unit.
An investigation was ongoing.