News

Actions

Cigarette causes 2-alarm fire at midtown Nashville apartments

Posted: 4:25 AM, Aug 12, 2019
Updated: 2019-08-12 20:11:07-04
1818church.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — An overnight fire displaced residents in two units at an apartment complex in midtown Nashville.

Nashville Fire Department said the two-alarm fire was caused by a discarded cigarette on a balcony.

Around 3:45 a.m. a woman reported flames and smoke coming from the third flood of the building.

Crews were seen putting out flames inside and throwing furniture from the balcony onto Church Street below.

Residents woke to the sound of an explosion, and then reported seeing the flames.

The fire started near a futon on the balcony and spread into the apartment. Firefighters said the explosion sound was caused by the fire reaches several cans of paint.

The blaze was put out by about 4:15 a.m. but residents were evacuated as a precaution.

Crews say three cats were rescued.

1818 church fire.JPG