Deputies Cleared In Shooting Of Nashville Firefighter

Posted at 9:14 AM, Mar 22, 2017

Three Cheatham County deputies have been cleared in an officer-involved shooting that injured a Nashville firefighter. Reports stated District Attorney Ray Crouch, Jr. said the deputies acted with a justifiable use of force against the firefighter.

Officials with the Cheatham County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the update Wednesday morning. The incident happened in January on Sams Creek Road near Ashland City.  

More: Nashville Firefighter Shot By Cheatham County Deputies

Authorities initially responded to reports of someone trying to run drivers off the road. Reports later stated Karla Kellam told officials her ex-boyfriend was trying to run her off the road. He was identified as Doug Barr.

Kellem was headed to the home of Ashley Puckett, who also reported Barr was attempting to run her off the road, as well.

The firefighter, identified as 44-year-old Charles Holland was standing in the road, waving a weapon. Holland lived near Puckett's home.

Authorities said Kellam drove around Holland, but Puckett stopped, perceiving Holland was offering help.

Puckett and Holland were talking when Barr swerved his vehicle and tried to hit them.

Puckett then drove into Holland's driveway, and he took her inside his home for safety. Officials said Holland then went back outside to keep Barr from entering.

Kellam drove toward Holland's home and saw Puckett's vehicle in his driveway. Deputy Royal identified Kellam's vehicle and followed her into Holland's driveway.

According to reports, the deputy and Kellam got out of their vehicles and began talking about the incident, but neither of them knew Puckett was inside Holland's home. They also didn't know Holland had helped Puckett.

Two additional officials, identified as Deputy Ivey and Lieutenant Bamman, arrived on the scene shortly after Deputy Royal.

Holland was crouched down beside Puckett's vehicle in the driveway. He was holding what appeared to be a long rifle and did not immediately identify himself.

Both Kellam and Deputy Royal took cover behind Kellam's vehicle.

Holland then moved, and a deputy commanded him to show his hands.

Officials said Holland's movements appeared to be threatening, and the three deputies fired, striking Holland twice.

Reports confirmed Holland did not fire his weapon.

Authorities began administering first aid. He was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center for treatment. He has since been discharged.

Officials took a rifle and handgun from Holland at the scene.

Agents with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation arrived at the scene following the shooting to take over the investigation.

The Cheatham County Grand Jury convened and evidence was presented, including a video of the shooting.

It was determined the deputies' actions were justified. No criminal charges were filed against officials or Holland.

Barr was charged with two counts of aggravated assault. His case has been scheduled for a hearing on April 19.

Attorney Jonathan Farmer released the following statement for Holland:

"Mr. Holland has reviewed the Cheatham County District Attorney’s Office Press release and been notified of the Cheatham County Grand Jury’s decision regarding its investigation.  At all times during this incident, Mr. Holland was acting to protect the women who were being aggressively pursued and attacked by Doug Barr.  Despite reports of Mr. Holland consuming alcoholic beverages in his own home, Mr. Holland was not in any way impaired or intoxicated during these events; instead he deliberately and with clarity of mind chose to intervene in the dangerous domestic violence situation unfolding in front of his home.  Every act Mr. Holland took was designed to rescue and protect the women who were being attacked.  At no point did Mr. Holland threaten or act aggressively towards any police officer."

Farmer also released the following statement concerning why Holland was outside with a gun at the beginning of the incident:

"He was at his home with his family when he heard and saw commotion on the street in front of his house.  Both of the vehicles driven by the women had stopped in front of his house, and Mr. Holland went outside to assist individuals who were obviously in distress."