Actions

Discarded Cigarette Causes Small Fire Outside Restaurant

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WTVF.png
Posted at 8:14 PM, Jun 13, 2015
and last updated 2015-07-09 02:14:11-04

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Fire officials said a small fire outside of a restaurant was caused by a discarded cigarette.

The fire happened outside of Farmer’s Family Restaurant on Old Fort Parkway just before 6 p.m. Saturday.

Crews said they had the fire out quickly and found the cause.

"The fire appeared to be caused by a discarded cigarette," said Captain Joe Barrett. "It got into the wall and burned a portion of the styrofoam behind the stucco on the exterior of the building."

No injuries were reported. The fire caused minor damage, but the restaurant remained open.

Those with the fire department reminded citizens to use caution when discarding cigarettes.

"Most importantly, before cigarette butts and ashes are thrown away, the smoker should make sure the fire is out by dousing it in water or sand," said Barrett.