Police on the campus of Austin Peay State University have been investigating after a student reported she was sexually assaulted.
The incident reportedly happened between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. Friday between the first floor entrance of Morgan University Center and the Ellington Building.
Authorities said the female victim contacted them around 2:45 a.m. to report the sexual assault.
Officials said they did not have a description of the alleged suspect at this time.
Anyone with information on this incident has been urged to call APSU Police at 931-221-7786.
Those with the university also released the following tips for those on campus:
- Immediately report suspicious persons loitering around university facilities.
- If you become the victim of a crime, do not try to physically detain or apprehend the suspect. Report the incident immediately to the APSU Police Department at 911 or 931-221-7786.
- Always walk/jog/bike in groups in well-lit and well-traveled areas. If you do not wish to walk alone, you can request an escort from the APSU Police Department.
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle/building and when you proceed between sites.
- Have your key/access card ready in hand to quickly access the door of your vehicle/building.
- If strangers approach, maintain a distance and be observant. If they are in a vehicle, get the license plate number, if possible.
- Lock doors and windows of your room/building. Do not prop open doors or let strangers in.