NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — President Donald Trump and Former Vice President Joe Biden have arrived in Nashville for Thursday night's debate at Belmont University.
Air Force One touched down around 2 p.m. and Biden arrived about 90 minutes later.
Their arrival brought several rolling roadblocks across Nashville causing major delays across all interstates. Several roads near Belmont University have already closed ahead of Thursday's event.
While the U.S. Secret Service keeps motorcade routes tight-lipped for security reasons, Nashville International Airport said drivers should allow extra time during the afternoon and evening hours for the arrival and departure of Air Force One.
Debate Traffic Update: Temporary road closures between the airport & Belmont University now in effect. Officers will reopen roadways as they can. pic.twitter.com/DGACtjM7An— Metro Nashville PD (@MNPDNashville) October 22, 2020
Expect rolling roadblocks from the airport to Belmont, from Belmont to downtown and from downtown to the airport. The roadblocks have resulted in heavy traffic backups on the interstates. Interstate 65 northbound, Interstate 24 north and southbound and Interstate 40 westbound are all impacted.
Downtown road closures include:
- Eighth Avenue from Broadway to the traffic circle
- Demonbreun from 6th Avenue to 10th Avenue
- Ninth Avenue
- Clark Place (10 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
Traffic anchor Rebecca Schleicher explains more of what you can expect:
It's debate day Nashville!— Rebecca Schleicher (@NC5_RSchleicher) October 22, 2020
I'm getting lots of emails from you guys asking me how you can see the motorcades. The short answer: it's complicated.
Secret Service keeps routes tight-lipped for safety. Here's a look at confirmed road closures and possible road blocks #5LiveTraffic pic.twitter.com/XGXkxgR6Mp
Additionally, expect the following road closures near Belmont:
- Acklen Avenue from 17th to 18th Avenue
- Belmont Boulevard from Portland Avenue to Bernard Avenue
- 15th Avenue South from Ashwood Avenue to Wedgewood Avenue
- Acklen Avenue from 12 Avenue South to 15th Avenue South
- Belmont Boulevard from 18th Avenue South to Delmar Avenue
- Caldwell Avenue from 12th Avenue South to 15 Avenue South
- Compton Avenue from 15th Avenue South to Belmont Boulevard
- Delmar Avenue from 15th Avenue to Belmont Boulevard