NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — A couple was brutally attacked at their Cherokee Park home when a man approached them asking for help.
The man stabbed both Don and Leigh Ann Zirkle, killing Don and critically hurting Leigh Ann.
The Zirkle family released the following statement Friday:
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Don. He was a very kind and gentle man. He was a wonderful husband to Leigh Ann for over 20 years. His loss has been keenly felt by all who knew him.
After a week, Leigh Ann remains in critical condition at the Vanderbilt Trauma Unit. Her condition continues to improve.
The outpouring from the community that we have received has been overwhelming. We wish to express our thanks and gratitude to the following:
- To the ladies, the EMT’s, and neighbors who initially responded giving Leigh Ann the chance of survival.
- To the staff in the Vanderbilt Trauma unit who have provided remarkable care.
- To the Nashville Police Detectives and officers who have been so professional and worked tirelessly to track down the assailant.
- To the neighbors who have held candle light vigils, created a Go Fund Me Account, and tended to their home. And
- To our many friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers who have extended offers of help and notes of sympathy.
We wish to thank the Gaines County, Texas, Sherriff’s Deputy. We hope for his complete recovery from all the injuries that he received.
We ask for prayers for the family of Peter Bohning. They too have been devastated by this terrible and senseless tragedy."