Family Raises Questions About Case Against Father In Baby Death

Posted: 6:09 PM, Jun 21, 2018
Updated: 2018-06-21 19:37:33-04

Family of a Clarksville Army medic says his confession in the alleged rape and killing of his own daughter was coerced and simply not true.

Police responded to the home of Chris Conway last November. One of his twin daughters was found unresponsive.

At that point detectives immediately took Conway in for questioning.

"All I know is that I did not sexually assault my daughter. I know that my wife did not do it. I know that I did not kill my daughter and I know my wife did not kill my daughter," said Conway last November. 

Father Arrested Again In Death Of Daughter 

"Our investigation led us to find that he had sexually assaulted his nine month old daughter. He also put a cord around her neck and she died from those injuries," said Jim Knoll, Clarksville Police Public Information Officer last year.

Police say Conway later confessed, saying he was aroused, raped the child and tied the cord around her neck to keep her from crying.

But video of the police interrogation tells another story.

"I don't know. I don't know anything," says Chris Conway said in November.

His family is releasing details from the case file, insisting Conway is innocent. They say the baby was strangled when she became tangled in a nearby dehumidifier cord. They say it's been eight months and still no forensic evidence has been placed in discovery to prove a sexual assault.

As for why Conway confessed after his initial denials? The family blames harsh interrogation tactics and that he was coerced over hours.

They say it's this initial statement from Conway about the crime that's the real truth.

"I think that is the most disgusting thing and absolutely would not do to my daughter and anyone who would do that is the lowest form of life," said Conway.

Portions of the autopsy report state that no signs of obvious sexual assault were found. Of course, we don't know what evidence prosecutors have other than Conway's confession -- which he plans to recant.

He's currently in the Montgomery County jail on a $1 million bond awaiting trial. The Montgomery County District Attorney did not return our calls asking for comment.