News

Actions

Fire sparks at West Nashville house without an exposed chimney

Posted: 7:58 AM, Nov 11, 2018
Updated: 2018-11-11 09:00:17-05

A house burned in West Nashville Sunday morning after an occupant lit a fire in a fireplace and the chimney was covered.

Firefighters responded to the house on the 3900 block of Delaware Avenue around 2:30 a.m.

The heat, electricity and gas was recently shut off at the house and the man living there said he lit a fire in the fireplace to keep warm. Firefighters said because roofing was laid over the chimney the smoke had no where to go and a fire started.

The house is unlivable, but not a total loss. The Red Cross is helping the man who lived in the house.

Here are some reminders before lighting a fire in a fireplace:

  • Clear the air. Make sure the chimney and room is well ventilated and is free of flammable fumes and gases.
  • Check the chimney. Make sure the liners are in good condition.
  • Clean the fireplace area. Make sure flammable materials such as drapes, books and furniture are well away from the fireplace.