Actions

Fundraisers Created For Apartment Fire Victims

Officials: Faulty Wiring To Blame
Posted: 3:26 PM, Jan 23, 2018
Updated: 2018-01-24 15:12:06Z

Dozens of people were left homeless after their apartments were destroyed in a fire, but the community has rallied around them to give relief.

If you would to help these families who were affected, you can send donations here:

  1. Creekwood Fire Relief Facebook page
  2. Donations - Tailgate Brewery : Goods and monetary donations can be dropped off at the restaurant on Charlotte Avenue.
  3. Creekwood Fire gofundme page

The Red Cross emergency shelter was open on Tuesday at the Bellevue Church of Christ as they continued helping fire victims.

On Wednesday morning, Red Cross officials said they were still assisting 51 people affected by the fire "with their immediate needs of shelter, food, water, basics like toothbrushes and shampoo, health needs like replacing lost prescriptions, and have counselors available for emotions support."

Caseworkers were also set to be available for those in need at Bellevue Church of Christ from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Water trickling onto a toilet, a ripped shirt sleeve, and a bicycle were among the remnants at the Creekwood Apartment Complex. 

Ankur Sukhadiya said, "I was just crying."

Fire victims lost nearly everything. 

Sukhadiya said,  "Immigration documents, passports, education documents, everything is orginal." 

Ankur Sukhadiya and Ronak Patel are from India . Sukhadiya is working in Nashville and now all he has is his driver's license. 

They were at Walmart preparing for Sukhadiya's wife to visit him when the fire started. 

She was flying from India to Nashville and he wasn't sure what he was going to tell her when she landed.

Patel said, "Your life is most important than other things." 

A man who evacuated said he grabbed his immigration documents as his smoke alarm was going off.

Vasanth Chittibabu said, "They tried to stop it but it was too windy at that time. Gradually the fire got blow up and it came all the way from that to my home."

What he lost, he said he cannot replace. 

Chittibabu said, "I lost all my marriage photos. My wife's dresser. My baby's first dresser and everything that I lost. My baby's first photograph." 

24 total units were damaged or destroyed. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

The Fire Marshal said an electrical wiring failure was to blame for the fire. The building did not have  a sprinkler system as it was built in 1971. If it is rebuilt, it will have to comply with current codes.

Almost 20 years ago, a fire ripped through the same apartment complex. 

It leaves many people wondering why this keeps happening. 

Sukhadiya said, "We don't need anything. We need our home back. That's it."