Two adults and a child were forced to flee their burning apartment in east Nashville by breaking a window to get to safety.
The incident happened around 3 a.m. Tuesday at a complex on Glenview Drive near Ozark Street.
Officials with the Nashville Fire Department said the blaze was believed to have been the result of a cooking fire. They tried to move a burning pot outside, but grease spilled in the living room.
— Matthew Torres (@NC5_MTorres) January 19, 2016
The flames and smoke became so intense, they had to break a window to get out.
Several neighbors were outside to help.
Firefighters also had to deal with a frozen hydrant while they battled the blaze in bitterly cold temperatures.
The victims were taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center with smoke inhalation. The adults were treated for minor burns.
The complex itself did not suffer extensive damage; however, the building where the blaze broke out did have fire damage.
The first floor of the affected building has been boarded up while the investigation continues.