News

Actions

Chimney In Need Of Cleaning Causes House Fire

Posted at 4:06 PM, Jan 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-03 17:06:00-05

A home in Madison caught on fire after a man had a fire going in a fireplace with a chimney that needed to be cleaned early in the morning.

The fire happened at a home on Finnland Drive just off Brick Church Pike around 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

Officials said he had a fire going, and because it hadn't been cleaned, the chimney caught fire.

The flames quickly spread to the attic.

The man was the only person inside the home at the time and was able to get out safely.

Authorities said there was extensive damage inside, but it was not clear if the house was a total loss.