Gas Leak Causes Explosion At Murray State Dorm

Posted at 5:48 PM, Jun 28, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-29 13:37:27-04

An alleged gas leak caused an explosion at a dorm on the campus of Murray State University in Calloway County, Kentucky.

The explosion on Wednesday happened at New Richmond dorm. Photos from the scene showed massive damage to the dorm.

Authorities said the building was mostly unoccupied because of summer break.

One maintenance worker, 26-year-old Dakota L. Fields of Murray, Kentucky, was inside at the time of the explosion. He was taken to the hospital in stable condition, and authorities confirmed he remained in stable condition on Thursday.

Crews contained the scene and shut off the gas. The Murray Fire Department searched the building and turned over control of the scene to Kentucky State Police.

According to preliminary investigations everyone has been accounted for.  

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Kentucky State Police Post 1 at 270-856-3721 or anonymously at 1-800-222-5555.