Police in Mt. Juliet have announced plans to ramp-up patrols at retail stores as the holiday shopping season gets underway.
Officials said in a release Monday that more officers would be focused on the area in and around the Interstate 40 shopping hub starting Thanksgiving afternoon and continuing through Black Friday.
The initiative, dubbed Operation Safe Shopper, will run until December 31.
“With the increased visible presence, our main goal is to deter criminal activity. However, I want to give shoppers a comfortable and enjoyable experience at Mt. Juliet’s retail hubs. Our stepped-up enforcement will ensure their visit is more enjoyable,” stated Police Chief James Hambrick. “Criminals should also be aware that arrests will be the preferred response by our officers.”
Officers said they’ll be watching for suspicious behavior and included a few tips for shoppers to stay safe:
- Report any suspicious or out-of-place behavior to police, immediately.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Park in well-lighted spaces, lock car doors, and place packages out of sight in the trunk or under seats.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card if possible.
- Carry purses close to the body, not dangling by the straps.
- Put wallets in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- Supervise children at all times. Teach children to go to a police officer or security guard if they get lost or separated.
- Take a holiday inventory. The holidays are a good time to take photos or videos of items in your home