Man shot by ICE agent in Nashville pleads not guilty to unlawfully re-entering country

Posted at 1:40 PM, Sep 17, 2019
and last updated 2019-09-18 15:17:14-04

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Federal authorities have arrested an undocumented immigrant who was shot by an ICE agent in Antioch earlier this month, according to U.S. Attorney Donald Q. Cochran.

Jose Fernando Andrade-Sanchez, 39, was arrested Tuesday afternoon at Ozment Law Firm, located on Murfeesboro Pike. He was charged with unlawful re-entry into the United States, after having been previously removed.

During a court appearance Wednesday, Andrade-Sanchez pleaded not guilty to the immigration charges. He is expected back in court on Monday for a detention hearing.

“As soon as he walked out of the office right here, federal agents were waiting for him. He got arrested, right here in our parking lot," Elizabeth Ozment, wife of founder Ozment Law, said. “ We have never seen anything like this.“

Ozment confirmed a gun was pulled during the incident but did not elaborate. She said the client was there for an initial consultation.

Andrade-Sanchez's most recent incident was two weeks ago. ICE officers tried to stop him while in the Food Lion parking lot. FBI officials said DHS officers were trying to stop him regarding immigration law violations.

When ICE officers spoke to him, he refused to exit his truck and drove forward instead. One of the agents then fired his weapon twice and one shot hit Andrade-Sanchez. Andrade-Sanchez then fled the area, according to a press release from Chochran.

He later surrendered to FBI agents and received medical treatment at a Nashville hospital.

According to documents filed with the court, Andrade-Sanchez was found and removed from the United States on four prior occasions, beginning in 2013 when he was charged with criminal impersonation after he claimed to be Metro Nashville Police officer Erik Valazquez. He pleaded guilty to that charge.

In Oct. of 2013, while in the U.S. illegally and living in Nashville, he was charged under with domestic assault and aggravated child abuse after he hit his then girlfriend and a 3-year old child. Both were transported to a local hospital where the girlfriend was treated for facial injuries and the child was evaluated for a possible broken nose. Andrade-Sanchez later pleaded guilty to domestic assault and the child abuse charge was retired.