Despite a fiery final debate one night prior, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton sat only two seats apart at the Al Smith Dinner on Thursday – without managing to throw any punches.
The presidential candidates did, however, deliver some caustic blows as they took to the microphone during the white-tie dinner, which is the major fundraiser for Catholic charities connected to the Archdiocese of New York.
Both Trump and Clinton poked fun at each other and themselves, at times taking things to a scathing level.
Below are 10 highlights and the most memorable lines from the dinner:
1.Mocking himself, Trump joked, "You know Cardinal Dolan and I have some things in common, such as we both run impressive properties on Fifth Avenue. Of course, his is much more impressive than mine. That's because I built mine with my own beautifully formed hands."
2. Shortly after Clinton started her speech, she joked about her energy level. "This is such a special event that I took a break from my rigorous nap schedule to be here," she said.
3.Alleging that Clinton draws small crowds at her rallies, Trump said, “It's great to be here with 1,000 wonderful people. Or, as I call it, a small, intimate dinner with some friends. Or, as Hillary calls it, her largest crowd of the season."
4. Clinton joked about the debate schedule. "Now, just to be clear, I think the Cardinal is saying I’m not eligible for sainthood. But getting through these three debates with Donald has to count as a miracle," she said.
5.In a more controversial and biting comment, Trump referenced his threat to legally pursue after Clinton if he becomes president. He said, "And even tonight, with all of the heated back and forth between my opponent and me at the debate last night, we have proven that we can actually be civil to each other. In fact, just before taking the dais, Hillary accidentally bumped into me and she very simply said, 'Pardon me.' And I very quietly replied, let me talk to you about that after I get into office."
6. Clinton mocked Trump for his thoughts on women and said, "People look at the Statue of Liberty and they see a proud symbol of our history as a nation of immigrants, a beacon of hope for people around the world. Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a “four.” Maybe a “five” if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair," she said.
7.Once again addressing Clinton’s prior legal issues, Trump said, "I'd like to address an important religious matter -- the issue of going to confession. Or as Hillary calls it, the Fourth of July weekend with FBI Director (James) Comey.”
8. Clinton followed Trump and joked about his questions of election fairness. "You know, come to think of it, it’s amazing I’m up here after Donald. I didn’t think he’d be okay with a peaceful transition of power," she said.
9.Delivering yet another blow to Clinton, Trump said, "One of the things I noticed tonight -- and I've known Hillary a long time -- that this is the first time ever, ever, that Hillary is sitting down and speaking to major corporate leaders and not getting paid for it."
10. Clinton returned the joke in her speech. "And as you’ve already heard, it’s a treat for all of you too, because usually I charge a lot for speeches like this," she said.