MULBERRY, Fla. — Polk County Fire Rescue responded to Mulberry Middle School in Mulberry, Fla. on Thursday after several students suddenly became sick after they reportedly consumed THC laced gummies.
Five of the ill students were taken to the hospital and one was picked up by their parents.
A spokesperson with Polk County Schools tells us the students consumed gummy bears that contained THC.
The Sheriff's Office said a 12-year-old male student brought a pack of Green Hornet fruit punch gummies containing 100 mg of THC to school. The student shared them with his classmates during his 2nd-period gym class, around 10 a.m.
The student who brought the gummies to school told detectives that he didn't eat any of it.
One of the kids who consumed the candy told a faculty member.
The Polk County Sheriff says the students had a negative reaction to the THC laced gummy bears they ingested saying they reported stomach pains, nausea, dizziness, or a combination thereof.
"We have long been concerned about the dangers of marijuana-infused candy, and that it would get into the hands of, and poison, children. Here's an example of that." - Grady Judd, Sheriff
The 12-year-old is being charged with six felony counts of distribution of marijuana within 1,000 feet of a school, 1 felony count of possession of marijuana resin, and 1 count possession of paraphernalia.
Polk County Public Schools sent the following message to parents on Thursday:
This message is being sent on behalf of Mulberry Middle School. We are cooperating with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office on an incident that occurred at school today. At this point, it is our understanding a student brought candy to school that contains THC, the chemical found in marijuana. The candy was consumed by other students, five of whom have been taken to the hospital for examination. We will continue to cooperate with the Sheriff’s Office during this ongoing investigation. Thank you."