The world's telecom leaders will descend on Denver, Colorado next week to deliver and discuss insight needed to properly launch the next phase of wireless communications: 5G.
"The Big 5G Event" is May 6-8 at the Colorado Convention Center and brings together cable and wireless carriers from across the globe. Some of the guest speakers include Verizon's SVP of technology and product development, Nicki Palmer; T-Mobile's VP of technology transformation, Ulf Ewaldsson; TELUS' chief technology officer, Imbrahim Gedeon and CentryLink's chief technology officer, Andrew Dugan. There are many more from big telecommunications companies: AT&T, C Spire, Spring, NSIGHT, Amazon and more.
5G (fifth generation wireless) is such a major deal that conferences like this are important to highlight the most pressing topics and "solve the 5G puzzle", as event organizers put it. More than 1,500 professionals will be in attendance.
Why 5G is a major step:
• Technology upgrades will be essential for delivering higher-speed data
• Cyber security threats will be bigger
• Additional frequency bands will be needed to support use of devices across different countries
• Power waste is a concern and new methods of efficient transmission are needed
• Device to device communication in emergency situations needs enhanced
• Smart cars with multimedia systems will be used as hubs of data transmission
Analysts estimate 50 billion smart devices will be connected to the internet in 2020, according to rfpage.com. Telecommunications leaders must constantly consider the changing tech environment and how to support so much digital dependency.
In North America, it is expected that major companies such as Verizon and AT&T will make 5G available to their customers next year.
• 50 percent of North American carriers conducted 5G trials in 2017
• Biggest challenges for carriers include monetizing new services, finding new markets, spectrum issues
• Enhanced mobile broadband will account for the largest percentage of initial 5G uptake and deployment
• The transportation industry will likely get the biggest benefits from capabilities of 5G
• Consumers over businesses will be the largest drivers of 5G uptake
Source: Big 5G Event
There will be a second Big 5G Event June 11-12 in London, England.