HOUSTON (AP) — A murder charge has been dropped against a man who had been accused of fatally stabbing an 11-year-old Houston boy as the child walked home from school this week.
Harris County District Attorney's Office spokesman Jeff McShan says police have determined 31-year-old Che Lajuan Calhoun is not responsible for Josue (hoh-SWAY') Flores' slaying.
McShan said Friday police had the "wrong guy." He says police would provide additional information at a news conference later Friday.
Police have said Josue was stabbed Tuesday in an unprovoked attack. Calhoun was arrested the next day.
He also was charged with evading arrest and assault after authorities said Calhoun was in a fight earlier this week and fled from police. It wasn't immediately clear whether those have been dropped.
A funeral mass for Josue is scheduled for next week.
This story has been corrected to show that the murder count was dropped, not murder charges.