New body camera footage released in the death of a man in police custody

thumbnail_BOYD 2.jpg
Posted at 5:54 PM, Dec 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-10 20:13:36-05

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Metro Police have released body camera footage from the three officers involved in a 911 call that resulted in a suspect’s death.

This happened late Friday, December 4 on W. Sharp Avenue. Officers arrived on scene after someone inside the home placed a 911 call but didn’t tell dispatchers what was going on.

Police body camera footage shows one of the Metro officers hearing screaming from inside the house and someone mentions a weapon.

“He’s got a gun, he’s got a gun,” the officer yelled to a second officer who just arrived on scene.

The two officers decide they have no choice but to enter the house. One officer goes to the front door, the second goes to the back door.

Video shows the first officer announce himself as a Metro Police officer repeatedly, before breaking the door open to get inside. Once the door opens, towards the back of the room, you can see Larry Boyd holding a gun with it pointed at the woman who lives in that house.

The Metro officer tries multiple times to get Boyd to drop his weapon.

“Hey, put it down, put it down, drop it,” yelled the officer.

The two officers are eventually able to convince Boyd to come out on the front lawn, but the struggle to arrest him is only beginning.

“Get down, stop resisting,” said one of the officers.

After repeated attempts to get Boyd in handcuffs, officers used a stun gun on Boyd twice within just a few seconds of each other.

“Stop resisting,” one of the officers yelled to Boyd.

Once Boyd is in handcuffs, a Nashville firefighter injects Boyd with some sort of medication to calm him down. NewsChannel 5 asked the Nashville Fire Department what the substance was, but they couldn’t say due to patient confidentiality laws.

Metro Police Chief John Drake says his officers did everything by the book and they won’t be taken off of active duty.

“For this particular incident, they tried all they could to deescalate, render aid, call for help. That’s the reason why they’re not decommissioned,” Chief Drake told NewsChannel 5.

The case is still being investigated by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. A key piece of evidence will likely be the medical examiner’s autopsy report. As of right now, we still don’t know what ultimately killed Larry Boyd.

Chief Drake did express his condolences to Boyd’s family and says the police department always mourns any loss of life.