NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Police are sounding the alert this weekend as temperatures are expecting to climb into the 90s.
Just this week, a mother was arrested for child neglect among other charges, for leaving her two year old in a hot car in Mt. Juliet. A responding officer had to break out the window to save the sweat-soaked child.
But safety in the heat isn't limited to just people.
Metro Animal Care and Control says you need to pay attention to your pets too.
All pets should have access to shade and fresh water -- not in metal bowls, because those can heat up.
Also pets can't be tethered when the heat index hits 95 degrees or higher. Metro Animal Care and Control says pet owners should also watch for signs of overheating, like rapid panting or if your pets tongue turns blue.
“The best course of action is to cool them down by hosing them off with cool water, putting them in the air conditioning and driving them to the vet clinic as fast as possible,” said Dr. Staci Cannon with Metro Animal Care and Control.
Pet owners can be charged with animal cruelty for not following laws.
And remember, if you see a child or pet in imminent danger in a hot car, you can break the window after trying to find the car owner and calling 911.