Passerby Saves Woman In Murfreesboro House Fire

Posted at 10:43 PM, Jun 28, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-28 23:51:34-04

There's more to the story behind a dramatic house fire Saturday night in Murfreesboro. A man knocked on a door until the woman inside woke up, saving her from the fire.

The fire engulfed the home, making it a total loss, but the one person inside got out safely.  That's likely due to the actions of Kris Kirby.

Kirby says he was driving home Saturday night when he spotted the fire on St. Andrews Drive.

He stopped and knocked on the door to make sure no one was inside, and that's when the 19-year-old teen inside opened the door.

Kirby says she had no idea the home was even on fire.

Kirby then got her to safety as a neighbor called 911. "What I feel like I did was just reaction," Kirby said.  "I didn't think about it, that's what I did."

Fire crews say the fire likely started because of an electrical problem.