Actions

Proposal Would Elevate Franklin Homes Out Of Floodplain

Federal Government Would Cover 65% Of Costs
Posted: 9:31 PM, May 24, 2018
Updated: 2018-05-25 02:45:05Z

A proposal in Franklin would elevate 26 homes out of the 100-year floodplain with help from the federal government. 

The United States Army Corps of Engineers identified 26 at-risk homes that could be elevated between 4 and 10 feet to get them out of the 100-year floodplain. 

The process would cost about $2.5 million, and the federal government would pay for 65% of the funds needed, with the other 35% going to either the city, the homeowner, or most likely, a combination of both. 

"I think it's an exciting time of opportunity to do something I had dreamed of doing but financially was unable," Jodie Jaudon, owner of one of the 26 homes in question, said. 

In the 2010 flood, Jaudon had water up to her knees in her home, and after that, some homeowners decided to elevate their homes on their own, and now that the Army Corps of Engineers have identified these 26 homes, it provides all of these homes the opportunity to do the same to avoid future tragedy.

Jaudon has researched the process and is confident in the plan. She's already started planning what would happen to her home.

"I've picked out the stone for below, thought about how the porches would look to make it ease into the yard and still look like a magnificent property so that the homeowners who don't elevate, it would just fit in beautifully," Jaudon explained. "It'll keep it's gingerbread cottage look and just be tall." 

The exact details of the plan haven't been released, it will be up to Franklin alderman to make the final decision on whether to move forward and how much of the remaining 35% of funding will be paid for by the city.