News

Actions

Suspect in Opry Mills shooting surrenders to police

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WTVF.png
Posted at 10:16 AM, Oct 06, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-06 16:29:24-04

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — The suspect accused of shooting and critically injuring a 19-year-old at Opry Mills mall last week has turned himself in to police.

Metro police said in a tweet Tuesday morning that 19-year-old Juwan Gaines is in custody after his family surrendered him at the Hermitage police precinct.

He’s facing charges of attempted murder, felony reckless endangerment and using a gun in the commission of a dangerous felony.

The shooting happened back on Sept. 30 about 100 yards from the food court outside the Tillys and T-Mobile stores.

Officials said it was a targeted shooting between two groups of people -- a group of three and a group of five -- both of whom had armed individuals.

Surveillance video showed the two groups, walking toward each other. Before either group interacted with one another, a man in a group of three pulled a gun from his waistband and fired three shots toward the others, MNPD Spokesman Don Aaron said during a news conference on the night of the shooting.