Alane Boyd showed a healthy twist on a Southwest Burger and Deconstructed Tacos. Find more recipes in Alane's cookbook BurgerFit on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/1733711503 or www.burgerfitcookbook.com. Check out Alane's Youtube channel at Cooking with My Friends. Go to https://alaneboyd.com/cooking-with-my-friends/burgerfit/ for more information.
Southwest BurgerFit Burger
1. 1 teaspoon cooking fat
2. 2 cups raw kale
3. 1 can whole black beans (I don’t like using refried b/c they have lost their body)
4. 1 tablespoon chili powder
5. 1 tablespoon paprika
6. 1 jalapeno (optional)
7. 1 lb ground meat
8. 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
1. Heat a skillet on medium heat with 1 teaspoon cooking fat. Add the kale and ½ teaspoon salt, and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Once the kale is cooked, put the black beans, kale, chili powder, paprika, and desired amount of jalapeno (optional) in the food processor (or finely chop kale and mash black beans with hands). Let the mixture cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, mix the ground meat and remaining teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal.
*If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
4. Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 5 minutes each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
5. Optional: Serve with salsa and make as a deconstructed taco burger with cassava flour tortillas.
Deconstructed BurgerFit Burger Tacos
1. 2 Southwest BurgerFit Burgers, broken into bite-size pieces
2. Cassava Flour Tortillas, or tortilla of choice
3. Shredded cheese
4. Sour cream
5. Pico de gallo
6. Cilantro for garnish
7. Any other taco toppings you like
1. Take the BurgerFit and cut into bite-size pieces or to the desired size.
2. In a skillet, heat the BurgerFit burger pieces on medium.
3. Add the BurgerFit burger to your tortilla
4. Add the cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro and any of your favorite taco toppings.