Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Recipe
1 lb Macaroni
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
3 T fresh sage, chopped
1 t cayenne
2 shallots, finely diced
1 T fresh garlic
1 T olive oil
3 cups butternut squash, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
2 T butter
3 T flour
1 cup milk
2 cups sharp cheddar
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 t nutmeg
6 slices of cooked chopped bacon (optional)
1. Boil a pot of water for the pasta. Salt the water, then add the pasta and cook to al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat a medium-sized, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until shallots are translucent. Add vegetable stock, thyme, sage, cayenne and squash, and simmer until stock is reduced and the squash is soft. This takes about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture to a blender and puree.
4. In the same pan, melt the butter. Whisk in flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add milk, puree mixture, cheddar and parmesan. Whisk together the until smooth and slightly thickened. Stir in nutmeg. Stir in Macaroni.
5. Move to a greased baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Top with chopped bacon (optional).