Jim Hagy from Chef's Market made a Chai Pear Pastry Dessert. (see recipe below) Chef's Market Catering & Restaurant is located at 900 Conference Dr., Goodlettsville, TN 37072. For more information or menu details visit www.chefsmarket.com or call (615) 851-2433. Look for Chef’s Market on Facebook and @chefs_market on Twitter and Instagram.
Chai Pear Pastry
4 Bartlett Pears
2 round pie crusts
1/8 t. ground cardamom
1/8 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
1 qt. ice cream
Local honey for drizzle
· Wash and cut pears in half, leave stem on one side and skin on. Pat dry. Scoop or cut core from the center of the pear.
· Place half of the pear cut side down on two layers of parchment that have been sprayed with oil.
· Combine salt, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves together. Sprinkle the skin of the
pear with the spice blend.
· Lay rolled out pie crust on top of pear half and gently shape to the pear, extend the perimeter 1/4 inch from the pear. Turn pear half over and tuck extra crust on cut-side of pear half. Flip over and place on sheet pan. Make three slices on the crust to allow steam to escape.
· Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
· Using pie dough scraps, cut out leaves for garnish. Brush lightly with egg white and sprinkle
with sanding sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
· Remove pear halves from oven and flip immediately. Scoop ice cream on top and drizzle
with honey (or caramel or chocolate if desired.
· Garnish plate with pastry leaves.