Lynne TOlley from Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House in Lynchburg TN made a Lynne made a hot appetizer recipe called Tailgate Country Ham & Cheese Spread. (see below) For more information about Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House in Lynchburg, or to make reservations, call (931) 759-7394. Don't miss the 31st annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue cookoff! “The Jack” takes place on Friday, Oct. 25 and Saturday, Oct. 26 in Lynchburg, TN. Get all the details at www. https:/jackdaniels.com/en-us/bbq
Tailgate Country Ham & Cheese Spread
3 Tbs olive oil, divided
2 medium sweet onions, sliced thin (about 3 cups)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup diced country ham (about 6 oz)
2 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 (10oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed & well drained
Toasted French bread slices or pita chips
1. Heat 2 Tbs of oil in 10” cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 more minute then transfer to a large bowl and wipe skillet clean.
2. Heat remaining oil in skillet and add diced ham. Stir often until ham is cooked. Add to onion mixture and cool. Wipe out skillet and cool.
3. Add cream cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan and spinach to onion/ham mixture. Stir until blended. Spoon into cast iron skillet. Cover and chill until ready to transport to tailgate. Recipe can be made ahead. Be sure skillet cools completely before returning spread to skillet.
4. At tailgate, uncover and heat on a grill stirring until cheese has melted. This step can also be done in a 350 degree oven. Cook until cheese has melted, about 20-30 minutes.
5. Serve with toasted French bread slices or pita chips.