The Bearded Baker, Nate Clingman from Nolensville, TN made 4th of July Cookie Fruit Tarts and talked about winning the Food Network competition “Bakeaway Camp with Martha Stewart”. Follow Nate on Instagram @thebeardedbakernashville, and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/thebeardedbakernashville/.
Cookie Fruit Tarts
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 4.5 ounces 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
Cream Cheese Buttercream Ingredients:
- 1 Cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 block) room temperature
- 2 pounds powdered sugar (1 normal size bag)
- Splash of vanilla
- Splash of lemon
- Strawberries sliced
- White chocolate for drizzle
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 3 minutes
- Beat in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder and salt with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a countertop surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth
2. Slowly add in powdered sugar
3. Add lemon juice and vanilla
4. If you like the buttercream a thinner consistency, add a splash of milk.
Once cookies are baked, spread on the buttercream and add the berries and any other toppings you’d like. There’s no right or wrong way to build these so get creative and have fun! Share your photos on our instagram @thebeardedbakernashville