FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. – Fort Campbell has learned it will lose more than 360 troops as part of Army cuts nationwide.
The announcement was made Thursday morning in a press release from Montgomery County Mayor Jim Durrett.
The Army has planned to reduce its troop size from 490,000 to 450,000 during the next two years due to mandatory budget cuts. Fort Campbell will see a cut of approximately 363 troops of a two-year period.
Fort Campbell and the 101st Airborne Division Commander released the following statement from Major General Gary J. Volesky on the reductions:
"Today the Secretary of the Army announced the next round of Army force reductions for fiscal years 2016 and 2017 that decrease the Army's Active Component size from 490,000 to 450,000 Soldiers, and cuts Army Civilian positions by 17,000. The reductions affect the entire Army and are a direct result of sequestration. If sequestration continues, the Army will be required to further reduce Active Army end strength to much lower levels.
Based on the Secretary's announcement, Fort Campbell will lose approximately 360 military positions, or about 1% of our total population. The reductions will be achieved through the inactivation of an Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) company from the 52nd EOD Group, a reduction in the size of the 101st Division Headquarters and other small training and base support reductions. At this time, we are not aware of any civilian reductions.
These decisions are based on an 18 month Department of the Army analysis of mission requirements and installation capabilities. Participation in our Community Listening Session played a critical role in helping to inform Army leadership of the importance of Fort Campbell not only to the Army's mission, but to the Kentucky and Tennessee communities as well. Thank you to all who continue to make Fort Campbell the best installation in our Army. I ask that you continue to support our great Soldiers and their Families. We couldn't do what we do without each and every one of you."
County Mayor Jim Durrett said in a statement:
“We have just received official confirmation from Congressman Blackburn’s office that the Ft. Campbell actual troop loss will be 363 soldiers. We can’t thank our Washington delegation enough, Congressman Marsha Blackburn, Senator Lamar Alexander and Senator Bob Corker recognize the strategic importance of Ft. Campbell and worked hard to push that message and keep our post intact. We continue to get updates on the impact to posts across our country and will share anything we get as soon as possible. We know that our community supports our troops and is eager for information surrounding this reduction.”
”It’s gratifying to see Pentagon officials reinforce Fort Campbell’s importance and excellence in operations. Moreover, it has been an honor to work with regional leaders from our community as well as Clarksville-Montgomery County in a spirit of cooperation and collaboration. Fort Campbell unifies our region and we are better for it,” Hopkinsville Mayor Carter Hendricks also said.
Fort Campbell already lost the 159th Combat Aviation Brigade to inactivation earlier this year.
Nationwide, the cuts are expected to take place over the next two years through 2017.