Much of the United States saw their first round of winter and snow this weekend, but this is just the beginning. The question is: Is your car ready for this winter?
Here are 10 items you should keep in your vehicle during the winter months:
- Ice scraper - A snow and ice scraper with a long handle and brush will make cleaning your car off much easier.
- Windshield washer fluid - This will help keep your windshield clear of salt and snow.
- Flashlight - You may need this in case your vehicle breaks down after dark.
- Blanket - If your car battery dies you'll be glad this is in your trunk.
- First-aid kit - Whatever the season, it's always a good idea to keep a first-aid kit on hand.
- Food and water - If you become stranded during a storm, it's important to stay hydrated and energized.
- Jumper cables - You'll need these in case your battery dies.
- Shovel - Sometimes there's no alternative but to shovel if your car becomes stuck.
- Sand or cat litter - You may need to throw one of these items on the snow under your tires to help gain traction.
- Flares - If your car breaks down or you become stranded these can help alert others near you.
The law enforcement also recommends keeping at least a half tank of gas in your car at all times during the winter.